You absolutely must read this series of blogs from Wild Woman Fundraising, Mazarine Trez. And I’ve added a few other tidbits.
Then talk about these blogs (and all the marvelous links to other articles). Talk with your work colleagues (and not just in the development office!) Talk with your board and your board’s development committee. And get your professional association to talk about some of this stuff.
In no particular order intention order…
Insulting philanthropy. A continuing (and growing?) growing trend!
- Read “Strategic philanthropy? Yep, still insulting,” a marvelous blog from Mazarine, the wild woman.
- Also read part 1, “High impact philanthropy is insulting.”
But wait…there’s more! (Also, make sure you click through the links.)
- This whole thing about how running more like a business will solve all the problems of NGOs… So read “Are you attacked for not being corporate enough?” by this wild woman.
- And YOU MUST READ Michael Edwards’ amazing book Small Change: Why Business Won’t Save the World.
- And, check out “Transforming philanthropy: It’s time to get serious.” From the OpenDemocracy website…. and its newsletter, “Transformation: Where love meets social justice.”
Unconscious gender bias (Just the unconscious type…which is worse, I think.)
- Read this blog from Mazarine: “Are you attacked for your fashion?“
- If you’d like to insult donors, read Eric Friedman’s Reinventing Philanthropy: A Framework for More Effective Giving.
So much good stuff out there. So many things we could share with our staff colleagues, donors, board members…And engage them in conversation.