This is what organizations tell me:
“First we add up all the expenses to carry out our mission. Then we figure out how much revenue we think is pretty reliable.” (That might be ticket sales if you’re an arts organization. Or maybe government contracts for services delivered. Or a for-sure grant from some foundation.)
- donor-centered relationship building program
- balanced mix of solicitation strategies and sources of gifts
- board member participation to identify the predisposed, nurture relationships, and solicit gifts
- number of qualified prospects in the pipeline
- analysis of key donors to determine the likelihood of how much each one might increase his / her gift
And I have even more on my list!