How does your organization identify that which it doesn’t know – and learn about all that? Here are some of my ideas…
- Diversity of life experience within staff and board: Gender identity. Sexual orientation. Socioeconomic status. Faith. Race/ethnicity. Profession. What else?
- Intentional conversations about knowing what we don’t know – and learning about it.
- Exploring cage-rattling questions to stimulate meaningful conversation.
- Regular monitoring of the external environment, your organization’s internal environment, your organization’s specific field of endeavor, the nonprofit sector itself.
- Reading across various disciplines.