My dad said that years ago in a newspaper interview.
People speak other languages… That means people live their lives in other cultures with other perspectives.
At a conference this summer, someone (from another country) commented on how his country thinks of Americans:
- “If you speak 3 languages, you’re multilingual.”
- “If you speak 2 languages, you’re bilingual.”
- “If you speak 1 language, you’re American.”
Sadly, this is only the tip of the description. Here’s what I heard throughout my family visits to my dad’s home country:
- “You can’t get a decent hamburger in France!”
- “These people don’t even try to speak English.”
Tom and I have a saying in our family…our family slogan:
- “People eat, sleep, and make love in languages other than English…in colors other than white…in pairings other than opposite sex. And that is beautiful.”
(P.S. If you think that this has nothing to do with fundraising, you are sorely mistaken.)